"Hi there and thanks a lot for visiting my blog. DFTBA!"

5/04/2012

Going Bovine by Libba Bray

book: Going Bovine
written by: Libba Bray
series? nope
genre: Young adult, humor
pages: 480
publication date: September 22nd, 2009
publisher: Delacorte books for Young Readers


Can Cameron find what he’s looking for?


All 16-year-old Cameron wants is to get through high school—and life in general—with a minimum of effort. It’s not a lot to ask. But that’s before he’s given some bad news: he’s sick and he’s going to die. Which totally sucks. Hope arrives in the winged form of Dulcie, a loopy punk angel/possible hallucination with a bad sugar habit. She tells Cam there is a cure—if he’s willing to go in search of it. With the help of a death-obsessed, video-gaming dwarf and a yard gnome, Cam sets off on the mother of all road trips through a twisted America into the heart of what matters most.

first thoughts:
Omigod that cover made me want to read this book sooo bad :o A cow and a yard gnome wearing sunglasses? This book must be freaking fantastic!

my review: 
Just a few minutes after starting this book I had already fallen in love with it. The simple amazingness of the characters and all of the strange things that happened for no appearant reason. They just happened. And that was this whole book. it just happened. And it was awesome. Hilarious.


Cameron, your not-so-special teenage boy that just wishes that the period of his life he is currently is living in can be ended soon. He is not popular, and he is not a geek. Then he gets a fatal disease. Life isn't fair, and this book made that perfectly clear. The mad cow disease shows Cam hallucinations. He sees an angel, Dulcie, a lovely creature. Only, she brings news that isn't happy at all. The world is in danger, and only Cam can save it! But, is cam seeing a hallucination or a real angel? Finally, he decides to go for it, and save the world. Companioned with a real midget, Gonzo, he leaves the hospital to save the world.


The character of Cam is not one I could relate to. Still, I liked him. He made me laugh with his strange actions. I understand that some people didn't like Cam because they couldn't relate to him at all, but it didn't bother me, actually. While he tries to save the world, an astonishing amount of crazy things happen to him. They were exactely like I expected after seeing the cover of the book. There even was a yard gnome that represented a Norse war god!


Dulcie -the angle- was a real anime girl, in my opinion. She's always being sarcastic. She is a real female heroine, bus the still is the cute girl you imagine while thinking about an angle. Gonzo is a midget, and he acts like one. He loves gaming, and doesn't have a lot of faith in the world. Then there was my favourite and most peculiar character, Balder. Balder is a talking and living yard gnome, but he also is a Norse war god :o How crazy must you be to think of such strange and amazing characters?!


Bray's sarcasm you could smell coming from the pages while standing metres away was my favourite thing about this book. Her writing style was nice, easy to read for me (so maybe too easy for American teens...). Still, it was pretty hard for me to finish this book. It took me almost a month! (I think that's a record) I read it chapter by chapter. She could have made this book a trilogy and then there would still be enough information to keep it all interesting.   It was just a little bit too much for my brains to process...


Altough there were lots of things happening, the main plot was that Cam had to save the world while fighting his disease. I forgot that from time to time, until I read a little about it and thought -Hey! He had to save the world, right?- The author really build too much of a story around the main plot, which I think is bad...


I would recommend this book to people who like randomness, lots of sarcasm, romance and long books.


rating:
4 stars ^^


xo Mar

No comments: